Started out as a project with a friend in 1993 writing Christian folk songs. As he moved onto his folk music, I began experimenting with different styles of music. I slowly got myself out of the acoustical folk phase, and went more technical, by incorporating synthesizers, and using various sound modules. Realizing that my strength is in the Rock genre, I expanded out and worked on my guitar skills. I am constantly changing my ideas about how I can improve my song writing.
Why this name?
It's really a solo project. I have members come and go as guest artists. Now, I have many people wanting to collaborate, so I've decided on RNG - Rich Nakatsu Group.
Do you play live? any interesting moments?
I've played live when I was part of a metal group, Fatalis, and a dance rock band called Fynnie's Basement. Embarrassing moment, a bloody nose on Stage.
How, do you think, does the internet (or mp3) change the music industry?
With the boom in making your own Home Studios, there are so many people out there making their own music. With the Internet, the opportunities of having your songs heard is endless. It's great. It's only going to get better. However, at the same time, I think copyright is going to play a vital role in protecting your music.
Would you sign a record contract with a major label?
I would definitely entertain the idea
Most of my songs are instrumental and melodic. Some artists that are very influential to my musc writing are, Tak Matsumoto, Joe Satriani, and David Gilmour
Wherever I go, good food = Good Spot. :D
- Ibanez RG320FM
- Ibanez S470
- Peavey Wolfgang
- BC Rich Ice Mockingbird
- Fender Telecaster
- Alvarez Yairi signature 6-string
- Yamaha FG450-SA Acoustic/Electric
- Fender American Pro Jazz Electric Bass, Maple Fingerboard (Olympic White)
- Fender Player Jazz Electric Bass, Maple Fingerboard (Tidepool)
- Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II (750Watt) Bass Head
- Tech 21 SansAmp RBI Preamp
- Furman M8DX Merit Series Spike Protector
- Line 6 Relay G50 Digital Wireless Guitar System
- Galliern Kreuger 4x10 Cabinet
- Peavey 2x10 Cabinet
- Line-6 XT Live Effects Processor (Settings are all customized)
- Pro Tools 12
- Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Audio Interface